“Clickbait”, for those of you who aren’t familiar with the term, is web content that relies on sensational headlines to get people to click on it and share it. But what if the Bible used clickbait? I think it would look something like this.
Tag Archives: quiz
Do you think like a Korean student? Take the quiz.
Yesterday, I played a game with a few of my middle school classes. It was a basic Taboo or Hot Seat style game, where one person comes up to the front and doesn’t look at the TV. A word and picture come on the screen and the others on their team have to describe it without saying the word or using any Korean.
It was amazing some of the ways they came up with to describe things using their limited vocabulary. Some were fairly obvious, like “Justin ____” for the word “beaver”, since Koreans pronounce “Bieber” and “beaver” the same. For others, they used Korean as a base, like “rock whale” for dolphin, since the Korean word for dolphin literally means “rock whale” (although I’m pretty sure the rock part of that is just a homophone for something else). Also, for the word “pear”, they pointed to their stomachs, since the word for stomach and pear are the same in Korean (not that anyone guessed correctly using that clue. They usually just passed on that one.)
And then there were some others. Take the quiz and see if you can guess the answers based on the clues that they gave (and which their friends used to guess the word correctly.) The answers are at the end.
1. “firefighter’s friend”
2. “chicken changed”
3. “Edison” (plus pointing up)
4. “Pizza’s friend”
5. “white water”
6. “small round cake”
7. “bird king”
8. “lion’s friend”
9. “Korean number 1 food”
10. “Made in _______”
How many could you guess? Scroll down to see how you did.
1. “police officer” (They tend to link these two jobs.)
2. “kitchen” (Korean students always mix these two words up, so they see them as related.)
4. “chicken” or “pickles” (This had two, since they closely relate pizza and chicken, but also when you order pizza here, pickles always come with them as a side dish, even with delivery.)
10. “China” (even in Korea, a lot of things are manufactured in China, so they are used to seeing Made in China.)
What would you do if you were “Alone on a Boat”?
Today the 10th installment of “Alone on a Boat” came out . It is a collaborative story between Sharmishtha Basu and myself. Please read the latest chapter (and all the previous ones) here at Sharmistha’s blog:
Our heroine, Angelique is quite a spunky girl. We know this because she’s 20 and sailing around the world by herself. I’m curious what you would have done in her situation. Take my quiz, then find out how close you are to Angelique.
1. You are sailing your boat and see a man floating in the water, clinging to wreckage. Do you:
- Pick him up (I only pick up hitchhikers in the middle of the ocean)
- Throw at Coke bottle at his head as you sail by (Shipwrecked? Ain’t nobody got time for that)
- Call the police and hope they find him in time (I want to help, but not THAT much)
- Pick him up, then hold him for ransom (Money, money, money…)
2. You are kidnapped by two men who have you tied up in your bedroom. Do you:
- Take a nap (Getting kidnapped is tiring)
- Cry and act helpless (Yay, I’m a damsel in distress!)
- Get the distress beacon from the bedside table (I’m a Lara Croft wannabe)
- Tell them your father is rich and will ransom you (Money solves all problems)
3. Your kidnappers have taken you to a jungle temple and you’ve just seen them get eaten by a huge monster. Do you:
- Scream your lungs out, alerting the monster to your occasion. (WWABGIAHMD: What Would A Blond Girl In A Horror Movie Do?)
- Take a nap. (Hey, that was a long hike through the jungle)
- Run away (Duh…)
- Grab the kidnapper’s fallen machete and go Bruce Willis on that monster (I’m sick of these **** monsters in this **** temple!)
4. You come across a strange man in the woods who says he’ll help you. Do you:
- Kill him. (Don’t mess around: I believe in Stranger Danger)
- Go with him. (You’re desperate. Gotta take the chance).
- Tie him up and leave him as monster bait (Better him than you)
- Ask him if he has a phone so you can call someone else (I need help, but I’m picky)
5. You find yourself in a temple filled with gold and gems. You’ve been warned that if you steal anything, you’ll be hunted down.
- Get your running shoes on, grab the biggest gem and and start sprinting. (High school gym class, don’t fail me now)
- Make a note of the temple’s coordinates to come back later with dynamite. (With Lara Croft AND Indiana Jones)
- Take a nap (Treasure makes you sleepy)
- Don’t take anything (Are you crazy? You saw the kidnappers get slaughtered)
Okay, tabulate your answers. Angelique’s actions were: 1, 3, 3, 2, 4. If you chose any of the other choices, you are most likely sociopathic, insanely greedy, or possibly narcoleptic.
If you haven’t read the story yet and want to catch up, click here.
If I had a dollar for every post I’ve made…
…I’d have a hundred dollars. That’s right, this is the 100th dispatch from the Green-Walled Tower.
I’d like to thank all you who have read my posts faithfully and those who have just stopped by for a visit. I appreciate you all. So how well do you know the workings of the Green-Walled Tower? Take my quiz and find out. Get more than seven right and I’ll send you an autographed smile via ThoughtNet. Get them all right (and fly yourself over here) and I will treat you to a bowl of soup of your choosing. The answers are at the bottom.
1. What was name of the very first story I posted?
a) The Long Ride Home b) Mayor Jim c) Three Writers on a Bus d) Ants Go Squishie!
2. How many countries have visited my blog?
a) 53 b) 87 c) 99 d) 142
3. Which country has visited the most (besides the US)?
a) India b) Canada c) Djibouti d) South Korea
4. What is the name of the dimension-traveling woman who first appeared in See the World Through a Cardboard Tube?
a)Klista b) Calista c) Margaret d) Betty
5. What does it mean to snee?
a) when you start to sneeze, but then catch yourself b) when you smoke 20 cigarettes at once through a PVC pipe c) when you answer a question before it’s asked d) when you see things that are invisible to other people
6. In the story Alone on Top of the World, what was the girl Aerin’s job?
a) shepherd b) astronomer c) farmer d) accountant
7. What is Edward Morrison’s robot friend called?
a) Chingu b) Amigo c) Droog d) Ami
8. What was the name of the very first Open Prompts story I did?
a) Saturday 4am b) Klutz c) Wine and Spirits d) Meanderbus
9. Where do I live?
a) Canada b) US c) Japan d) South Korea
10. What am I going to do for the blog’s one-year anniversary?
a) buy you all a car b) finally go to Disneyland c) eat a liter of ice cream and cry softly d) build a real green-walled tower and invite you all there for a party
Answers: 1-(Mayor Jim), 2-(87), 3-(India), 4-(Klista), 5-(when you see things that are invisible to other people), 6-(shepherd), 7-(Droog), 8-(Klutz), 9-(South Korea), 10-(?)